POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Water on Mars (78kb) : Re: Water on Mars (78kb) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Water on Mars (78kb)
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 2 Feb 2004 14:30:30
Message: <401ea555@news.povray.org>
[following the nice discussion about signs of life...]

Actually, the coloring of the water was the major problem.

I'm not sure if an ocean on Mars would be so blue; at least
there is no blue sky which could be reflected.
And then I had to make it much darker than I thought because
if I leave the water more transparent it no longer looks like
liquid water at all but like dark dry sediments. Or maybe, this
perception varies quite a lot between different people.

And yes, I decided to make the water (absorption) a bit greenish
because it turned out that I liked it...
But now, I will be telling people it's some anorganic salts ;)
(Thanks Jellby)

BTW, there is now an updated version on my homepage. I removed
some spurious water in the background by re-adjusting the level.
Especially have a look at the crater right back!

http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~wwieser/render/img/mars/3craters-ese-2-1200.jpg

Wolfgang